Jason Katzer - Learning Serverless: Design, Develop, and Deploy with Confidence (2020)

GuDron

dumpz.ws
Admin
Реакции
Credits
Learning Serverless: Design, Develop, and Deploy with Confidence
Автор: Jason Katzer (2020)
фронт.jpg
This book will not make you an expert, but it will be an important step of your journey—it will put you in the top half of developers.
The purpose of this book is to help you understand what’s important, and what you need to learn and improve on in order to level up in your career or ship your next big personal project.

About This Book​

This book is about arming you with the knowledge you need to represent serverless as an important new technology. There are plenty of doubters out there. And there are plenty of zealots. This book is not from any of those, or for any of those. This book is for people who want to write serious software and gain the respect of peers and colleagues by doing it predictably. I didn’t choose to defend serverless. I just chose to ship great software in a way that minimizes maintenance as much as possible.
This book will not tell you how to make your use case serverless. Nor should it. This book will tell you how serverless can help you ship amazing software while saving a bunch of time. It will be real and honest with you about where the serverless world stands. If, on the other hand, you already know everything, it will (I hope) reinforce your worldview in a way that you can share with people who “don’t get it.”
The goal of this book is to serve as a guide for building maintainable and scalable services through the lens of serverless computing. First, we’ll align ourselves on what it means to build a production system. Then, we’ll discuss knowledge specific to the current world of serverless compute, and the way that you or your team have decided to run your serverless workloads.
The underlying ideas and philosophies in the first part of the book are meant to be as timeless as a technical tome can be: plan your software for all edge cases and the real world. Use creative thinking and prioritization to spend the appropriate amount of time solving issues that are less likely to occur.
I have been fortunate enough to spend time teaching programming. I have taught students of all ages, and even ones who were learning English at the same time as learning programming. Hopefully, these lessons will be shaped by that experience so a 12-year-old would be able to pick up this book and build something amazing. The same goes for someone who is 88. So bear with me as I talk about some concepts in this book that you may already be familiar with. I promise to keep the technical knowledge in this book high, while keeping the barrier to understanding it as low as possible.

How This Book Is Organized​

After numerous conversations with engineers getting started in their careers, reviewing hundreds of online tutorials, and talking to users of serverless technologies at conferences, I had a revelation. Most of the information produced and consumed about programming is focused around building systems, but not around operating them. Most of the questions I was being asked after giving a talk on serverless were DevOps questions from those who chose serverless to avoid DevOps in the first place. Serverless may abstract away servers, but it does not abstract away DevOps. You will have to make tough decisions when designing, building, and operating your systems. But if done properly, based on the advice of this book and using serverless when applicable, you can meaningfully minimize frustration and time spent, while maximizing your confidence in your systems.
To achieve that mission, you may need to round out your knowledge of system design as it applies to building an internet application. You have the innate ability to design your systems so they achieve the desired functionality intentionally instead of accidentally. This will be done in Part I. In Part II, you’ll walk you through the tools at your disposal to achieve your wildest serverless dreams. You are then ready to build. But before you do, you should read Part III if you intend to launch your creation into any form of production.