Articles How Embarcadero know me?

cippirimerlo

Местный
Реакции
Credits
Hallo everybody.
I'm working in a big word company as a FW engineer, ad I've used the C++ Builder to develop a personal tool. A simple program, but was very appreciate also from my colleague (I hate .NET...).
A couple of them used this program, but ONLY in our office, for a couple of days.
Yesterday I got an advise of illegal use of the Embarcadero SW by a UK customer (customer! He is not able to use this tools! I've used and develop this tool in Italy!).
I've used the community edition, I thought it is ok, but I wrong. When I download the licence I used my personal account (email and addres). And in the company there is a strong firewall.
In which way the know where/who I am, who is using this program? (I'm the developer and user, no others)
Does the program realized with Embarcadero (Builder - community edition) "call home"?

Thanks

emailx45

Местный
Реакции
Credits
your email + your ID license = license counting installation

maybe block some address Embarcadero

127.0.0.1 localhost >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 getit.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 license.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 track.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 comapi.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 object.ws.sanctx.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 external.ws.sanctx.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 services.server.v8.srs.sanctuary.codegear.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 LicenseUsageServicesImpl.services.server.v8.srs.sanctuary.codegear.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 RegistrationServicesImpl.services.server.v8.srs.sanctuary.codegear.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 LicenseRenewalServicesImpl.services.server.v8.srs.sanctuary.codegear.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 license-stage.codegear.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 license.codegear.com >>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 installers.embarcadero.com >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся >> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

IDA: --> Sanctuarylib.dll in action...

sanctuarylibdll.png

cippirimerlo

Местный
Реакции
Credits
Thanks emailx45. I did it in my home computer.
But not in the office, isn't possible (can't access to local register/firewall etc)!
This is the reason why I've used the community. Hope it is free from my computer - used only for testing feature and teach other colleague how better Builder is - compare to c# and .NET
I dl the licence with my private email, and for a couple of year nothing happened. Installed only once!
It seems that "someone" used the exe file I've created in another country. But theuyy know my computer name, the company name and they discover me.
Can a simple.exe file call Embarcadero home and give all this infos? I know it is forbidden!!!

emailx45

Местный
Реакции
Credits
theorically, its possible, IF you use some api for that task in your app.
in general, not!
for solve this question, you can use some app to monitor the network when loading/using your app.

some suite, like DevExpress can "insert" code in your binary to transmitir info over your network or control your license by info inserted in your binary. (be: exe, dll, obj, etc...)

Free tools NirSoft mini-software programmer support - Dozens of Free applications!
Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

for block Embarcadero access on network, just edit your HOST file local on MSWindows. is enough for many cases. or your FireWall local in your pc just, is not necessary access your proxy or Registry

now if you give your Embarcadero license for other then of course that Embarcadero can know this installation.

for that, you need info Embarcadero about your "revoke" or be "now you not owner for that license" but ...

read your EULA

for mor info go Embacadero Support directly

Normally, the license is personal or corporative.

• 2. LICENSE.
    2.1 LICENSE GRANT.
    Licensor grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, nontransferable, perpetual (except to the extent Licensee has purchased a Subscription License (as defined below)) right and license (the "License") to install this Product within the country (or in the case of a country within the European Union within the European Union) specified by Licensee's ship to address provided by Licensee in the ordering documentation for the Product at the time of purchase ("Licensed Country") and solely for the development of software programs and/or management of its internal systems and data in the following manner:

• (a) If Licensee has purchased a Network Named User or Named User License, Licensee may install the Product on one or more computers and designate one person in Licensee's organization ("Named User") the right to use the Product within the Licensed Country, provided that only the Named User uses the Product. For clarity, this section does not apply to the Community Edition, which is a free edition, limited commercial use edition.

• (b) If Licensee has purchased a Concurrent Users License, Licensee may install the Product on a network within the Licensed Country to be used concurrently on different computers by up to the authorized number of users for which Licensee has purchased a license provided that the Product is accessed and used only in the Territory. "Territory" means the geographical area in which the Product may be accessed and used. The use in the Territory shall be subject to the export restrictions set forth below. Territory may be any one, and only one, of the following three geographic areas: Americas Territory, EMEA Territory or AsiaPac Territory each as defined below.
    The geographic Territories are:
    'Americas Territory' including and limited to those geographical areas found within the boundaries of North and South America (but excluding Cuba).
    'Europe, Middle East and Africa Territory' or 'EMEA Territory' including and limited to those geographical areas found within the boundaries of Europe, Middle East and Africa, including countries in the former Soviet Union (but excluding Syria, Iran and Sudan);
    'Asia Pacific Territory' or 'AsiaPac Territory' including and limited to those geographical areas found within the boundaries of Asia and Australia/Pacific (but excluding North Korea).
    Except where prohibited by applicable law, transfer of the Product into a country (or in the case of the European Union, outside the EU) not identified on the ordering documentation at the time of purchase is prohibited and will void the license. Temporary usage of a Product outside the Licensed Country or Territory while a user is traveling is permitted.
    Licensee usage of the Product may be restricted to DBMS platforms please look to Licensee's ordering document(s) for the specific platforms licensed. Certain editions of the Product may include AppWave and/or app features. Additional restrictions applicable to those features may be found in supplemental terms accompanying them.

Последнее редактирование:

emailx45

Местный
Реакции
Credits
The Edition Commnity is verified online too, and you pay attention in deploy your app because the license is valid for one year and renewed for next year, for while no limited.
and if you sold apps, the total (sum all apps) can not be more $5000.00 by year, else, you need buy another edition like Pro or Enterprise or Arch for example to continue into law...

this edition, CANNOT be installed when you have one edition payed with same edition, like

CE 10.3 togheter Pro/Enter/Arch 10.3 = NOT
CE 10.2 and RAD 10.1 Berlin = OK

it have SKU different

emailx45

Местный
Реакции
Credits
more info Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

Start Building Apps Today with Delphi Community Edition
  • Delphi Community Edition provides you with integrated and professional-level developer tools from Day 1
  • Develop Windows, macOS, Android and iOS applications with a single codebase
  • Visual Design using the Delphi VCL and FireMonkey frameworks
  • Built-in Debugging Tools that allow you to debug on any device
  • Build database apps with local/embedded capabilities
  • Hundreds of included components to enhance your app and reduce development cycles
  • Licensed for use until your individual revenue from Delphi applications or company revenue reaches $5,000 US or your development team expands to more than 5 developers

cippirimerlo

Местный
Реакции
Credits
You're right emailx45. But not at all.
Is exactly what I meant: "and if you sold apps, the total (sum all apps) can not be more $5000.00 by year, else, you need buy another edition like Pro or Enterprise or Arch for example to continue into law... "
But you've to read this (as I dad after...)

I’ve found this point in a Embarcadero FAQ page concerning Community edition:
point 14:

14. Can I deploy apps built with the Community Edition for internal use in my company?
Yes, subject the company total revenue doesn't exceed $5,000.00 dollars or local currency equivalent. Putting another way. A Professional, Enterprise or Architect edition license is required for developing or deploying any apps or components within any company with total company revenues exceeding US $5,000 or local currency equivalent.

Still unbelievable, but it is.
If I earn less that 5000$ in a year I haven't money for computer (and food!).

Obviously I'm THE ONLY guy in this company that use Builder. And the only .exe user. Probably my colleagues try it, but only a few minutes because it is no easy (only for me... doesn't help in case of issues!).
An of course they don't sell it. We also don't know who "send" this program to an abroad customer. Really unbelievable!

emailx45

Местный
Реакции
Credits
the COMMUNITY EDITION was not done to comercial developers...

was done to student and enthusiat that want learn the Delphi or CBuilder WITH OPTION TO SALE YOUR PROJECT IF WANT And it is interessant for anyone.

As an incentive to continue and in the future to become an information entrepreneur. However, if you want to make this opportunity a livelihood then, as in any other profession you make a capital investment.

$5000 div 12 = $416.66... / month really is little for many peoples, but if dont have nothing is so many for others.

here in Brazil $416 = R$1666 (Real) and the salary/month is R$1045 / month

and my English is great! :)