News/Info Mozilla promises expanded extensions support following controversial Firefox Android update

emailx45

Местный
Реакции
Credits
Mozilla promises expanded extensions support following controversial Firefox Android update
The newest Firefox updated removed all but a small selection of add-ons
Corbin Davenport - 03/Set/2020
[SHOWTOGROUPS=4,20,22]

Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

This story was originally published on Aug 31, 2020 and last updated 8 minutes ago.
Mozilla has been working on a rewritten version of Firefox for Android, designed to be faster and easier to maintain, and it Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся. Even though the new version is absolutely an upgrade in some areas, replacing the older browser before the newer codebase had all the same features has proven to be an unpopular move.

The new Firefox, nicknamed 'Firefox Daylight' by Mozilla, covers all the same core functionality as the older browser. It uses Mozilla's own GeckoView engine, it syncs with Firefox accounts, and it offers the same built-in tracking protection. However, not everyone is a fan of the updated design (especially with the focus on 'Collections'). The most critical issue is the lack of extensions — Mozilla has only allowed a Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся to work in the new browser, and Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся in Firefox Daylight. A Mozilla developer Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся integration with the main Firefox addons repository is in development, but regardless, it's not there right now.

Для просмотра ссылки Войди или ЗарегистрируйсяДля просмотра ссылки Войди или ЗарегистрируйсяДля просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

Firefox had an average user rating of 4.3/5 stars on the Play Store Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся, out of 3.5 million reviews. Since then, the average has now dropped to 4.1/5 stars, with 1-star ratings now accounting for more than every other option except 5/5. That's not a massive difference, but analytics data by Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся shows that the spike in negative reviews far outnumber new positive reviews.

Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

Complaints have also been pouring in over social media. Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся on the Firefox subreddit has over 600 comments, most of them lamenting the lack of add-ons. Other complaints include the removal of Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся (a page with advanced settings, Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся), Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся (some who didn't set up Firefox Sync had all local passwords erased), Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся, and so on. The replies to Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся also are mostly negative.

Really feeling some user pain from not having my most common websites available + interesting Pocket articles when I go to open a new tab. The UI changes and lack of extensions on this are a real miss for me too.
— Adam Beame (@AdamBeame) Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

I'm a Firefox fan, but I strongly dislike this new version on my phone. I find the pop-up to change tabs extremely annoying. In the light version I can barely make out my "back," home" buttons (white on white!). Better visible in dark version, but I don't really care for it.
— exNY (@NYexpatness) Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся

It's not entirely surprising that Mozilla decided to roll out the new Firefox before it had complete feature parity with the existing version. Maintaining two separate codebases for a browser isn't an ideal situation, and Mozilla's limited resources (Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся) meant that the stable Firefox browser (v68) went without new features for nearly a year. The old browser also suffered from Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся while the new version was in development, which possibly accelerated Mozilla's plans to phase it out.

If you're not a fan of the new Firefox, you can still Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся and disable automatic updates from the Play Store. However, using an unsupported web browser isn't the best idea if you care about security.

[/SHOWTOGROUPS]