Lucas da Costa - Testing JavaScript Applications (2021)

GuDron

dumpz.ws
Admin
Реакции
Credits
Testing JavaScript Applications
Автор: Lucas da Costa (2021)
фронт.jpg
Testing JavaScript Applications is the testing book I wish I had read six years ago. At that time, I was a quality assurance (QA) intern. It was my first experience in the software industry. Unfortunately, it didn’t require me to do what I liked the most: casting spells on a keyboard. Instead, I had to manually go through screens, click buttons, fill forms, and make sure that the software we built was working as it should.

“There must be a better way,” I thought. So I started crafting incantations of my own for machines to do the drudgery, liberating me to be the creative wizard I wanted to become.

After 18 months, I thought I had figured most of it out. By then, I had automated myself out of my QA role and become a software engineer.

Once I started writing applications, even more questions popped up in my mind. Having been into QA for a significant amount of time, I didn’t want to depend on others to build software that works. I also didn’t want to spend my precious spell-crafting time clicking buttons and filling forms, as I used to do.

Once again, I thought that “there must be a better way.” That’s when I started reading more about software testing. Now that I had access to the source code, I discovered that I could build software more confidently, in less time. Furthermore, I could liberate my QA friends to perform more creative and proactive work instead of just throwing software over the wall for them to test manually.

The tricky part was finding material that would teach me how to do it. Even though I could sometimes find helpful articles online, most of them were out of date or focused on a small part of the testing puzzle.

Putting those pieces together was the most challenging part of learning about software testing. Should software engineers always write tests? If so, which types of tests, for what, and how many? How do software development and QA fit together?

Years ago, there wasn’t a single piece of content that could answer all these questions. The book I wanted to read didn’t exist; therefore, I decided to write it myself.

While good content is scattered all over the internet, much of it remains unwritten. A big part of the testing puzzle remains unstructured in the brains of those who maintain the testing libraries that others use.

In Testing JavaScript Applications, I put those pieces together in a comprehensible manner. I combined what I’ve learned from many years of reading and practical work experience with what I’ve discovered while maintaining the testing libraries that millions of people use, like Chai and Sinon.

I firmly believe that excellent testing practices are at the core of every successful piece of software out there. These practices help people write better software, in less time, for fewer dollars. Most importantly, they extricate us humans from drudgery and give us time to do what we do best: create software, which, to me, is still pretty much like magic.