Dennis Byrne - Full Stack Python Security: Cryptography, TLS, and attack resistance (2021)

GuDron

dumpz.ws
Admin
Реакции
Credits
Full Stack Python Security: Cryptography, TLS, and attack resistance
Автор: Dennis Byrne (2021)
фронт.jpg
Years ago, I searched Amazon for a Python-based application security book. I assumed there would be multiple books to choose from. There were already so many other Python books for topics such as performance, machine learning, and web development.
To my surprise, the book I was searching for didn’t exist. I could not find a book about the everyday problems my colleagues and I were solving. How do we ensure that all network traffic is encrypted? Which frameworks should we use to secure a web application? What algorithms should we hash or sign data with?
In the years to follow, my colleagues and I found the answers to these questions while settling upon a standard set of open source tools and best practices. During this time, we designed and implemented several systems, protecting the data and privacy of millions of new end users. Meanwhile, three competitors were hacked.
Like everyone else in the world, my life changed in early 2020. Every headline was about COVID-19, and suddenly remote work became the new normal. I think it’s fair to say each person had their own unique response to the pandemic; for myself, it was severe boredom.
Writing this book allowed me to kill two birds with one stone. First, this was an excellent way to stave off boredom during a year of pandemic lockdowns. As a resident of Silicon Valley, this silver lining was amplified in the fall of 2020. At this time, a spate of nearby wildfires destroyed the air quality for most of the state, leaving many residents confined to their homes.
Second, and more importantly, it has been very satisfying to write the book I could not buy. Like so many Silicon Valley startups, a lot of books begin for the sole purpose of obtaining a title such as author or founder. But a startup or book must solve real-world problems if it will ever produce value for others.
I hope this book enables you to solve many of your real-world security problems.

acknowledgments​

Writing entails a great deal of solitary effort. It is therefore easy to lose sight of who has helped you. I’d like to acknowledge the following people for helping me (in the order in which I met them).
To Kathryn Berkowitz, thank you for being the best high-school English teacher in the world. My apologies for being such a troublemaker. To Amit Rathore, my fellow ThoughtQuitter, thank you for introducing me to Manning. I’d like to thank Jay Fields, Brian Goetz, and Dean Wampler for their advice and input while I was searching for a publisher. To Cary Kempston, thank you for endorsing the auth team. Without real-world experience, I would have had no business writing a book like this. To Mike Stephens, thank you for looking at my original “manuscript” and seeing potential. I’d like to thank Toni Arritola, my development editor, for showing me the ropes. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and with it I’ve learned so much about technical writing. To Michael Jensen, my technical editor, thank you for your thoughtful feedback and quick turnaround times. Your comments and suggestions have helped make this book a success.
Finally, I’d like to thank all the Manning reviewers who gave me their time and feedback during the development phase of this effort: Aaron Barton, Adriaan Beiertz, Bobby Lin, Daivid Morgan, Daniel Vasquez, Domingo Salazar, Grzegorz Mika, Håvard Wall, Igor van Oostveen, Jens Christian Bredahl Madsen, Kamesh Ganesan, Manu Sareena, Marc-Anthony Taylor, Marco Simone Zuppone, Mary Anne Thygesen, Nicolas Acton, Ninoslav Cerkez, Patrick Regan, Richard Vaughan, Tim van Deurzen, Veena Garapaty, and William Jamir Silva, your suggestions helped make this a better book.

about this book​

I use Python to teach security, not the other way around. In other words, as you read this book, you will learn much more about security than Python. There are two reasons for this. First, security is complicated, and Python is not. Second, writing volumes of custom security code isn’t the best way to secure a system; the heavy lifting should almost always be delegated to Python, a library, or a tool.
This book covers beginner- and intermediate-level security concepts. These concepts are implemented with beginner-level Python code. None of the material for either security or Python is advanced.

Who should read this book​

All of the examples in this book simulate the challenges of developing and securing systems in the real world. Programmers who push code to production environments are therefore going to learn the most. Beginner Python skills, or intermediate experience with any other major language, is required. You certainly do not have to be a web developer to learn from this book, but a basic understanding of the web makes it easier to absorb the second half.
Perhaps you don’t build or maintain systems; instead, you test them. If so, you will gain a much deeper understanding of what to test, but I do not even try to teach how to test. As you know, these are two different skill sets.
Unlike some security books, none of the examples here assume the attacker’s point of view. This group will therefore learn the least. If it is any consolation to them, in some chapters I let the villains win.

How this book is organized: A roadmap​

The first chapter of this book sets expectations with a brief tour of security standards, best practices, and fundamentals. The remaining 17 chapters are divided into three parts.
Part 1, “Cryptographic foundations,” lays the groundwork with a handful of cryptographic concepts. This material resurfaces repeatedly throughout parts 2 and 3.
  • Chapter 2 dives straight into cryptography with hashing and data integrity. Along the way, I introduce a small group of characters who appear throughout the book.
  • Chapter 3 was extracted from chapter 2. This chapter tackles data authentication with key generation and keyed hashing.
  • Chapter 4 covers two compulsory topics for any security book: symmetric encryption and confidentiality.
  • Like chapter 3, chapter 5 was extracted from its predecessor. This chapter covers asymmetric encryption, digital signatures, and nonrepudiation.
  • Chapter 6 combines many of the main ideas from previous chapters into a ubiquitous networking protocol, Transport Layer Security.
Part 2, “Authentication and authorization,” contains the most commercially useful material in the book. This part is characterized by lots of hands-on instructions for common user workflows related to security.
  • Chapter 7 covers HTTP session management and cookies, setting the stage for many of the attacks discussed in later chapters.
  • Chapter 8 is all about identity, introducing workflows for user registration and user authentication.
  • Chapter 9 covers password management, and was the most fun chapter to write. This material builds heavily upon previous chapters.
  • Chapter 10 transitions from authentication to authorization with another workflow about permissions and groups.
  • Chapter 11 closes part 2 with OAuth, an industry standard authorization protocol designed for sharing protected resources.
Readers find part 3, “Attack resistance,” to be the most adversarial portion of the book. This material is easier to digest and more exciting.
  • Chapter 12 dives into the operating system with topics such as filesystems, external executables, and shells.
  • Chapter 13 teaches you how to resist numerous injection attacks with various input validation strategies.
  • Chapter 14 focuses entirely on the most infamous injection attack of all, cross-site scripting. You probably saw this coming.
  • Chapter 15 introduces Content Security Policy. In some ways, this can be considered an additional chapter on cross-site scripting.
  • Chapter 16 covers cross-site request forgery. This chapter combines several topics from previous chapters with REST best practices.
  • Chapter 17 explains the same-origin policy, and why we use Cross-Origin Resource Sharing to relax it from time to time.
  • Chapter 18 ends the book with content about clickjacking and a few resources to keep your skills up-to-date.

About the code​

This book contains many examples of source code both in numbered listings and in line with normal text. In both cases, source code is formatted in a fixed-width font like this to separate it from ordinary text. Sometimes code is also in bold to highlight code that has changed from previous steps in the chapter, such as when a new feature adds to an existing line of code.
In many cases, the original source code has been reformatted; we’ve added line breaks and reworked indentation to accommodate the available page space in the book. In rare cases, even this was not enough, and listings include line-continuation markers (➥). Additionally, comments in the source code have often been removed from the listings when the code is described in the text. Code annotations accompany many of the listings, highlighting important concepts.

liveBook discussion forum​

Purchase of Full Stack Python Security includes free access to a private web forum run by Manning Publications where you can make comments about the book, ask technical questions, and receive help from the author and from other users. To access the forum, go to Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся. You can also learn more about Manning’s forums and the rules of conduct at Для просмотра ссылки Войди или Зарегистрируйся.
Manning’s commitment to our readers is to provide a venue where a meaningful dialogue between individual readers and between readers and the author can take place. It is not a commitment to any specific amount of participation on the part of the author, whose contribution to the forum remains voluntary (and unpaid). We suggest you try asking the author some challenging questions lest his interest stray! The forum and the archives of previous discussions will be accessible from the publisher’s website as long as the book is in print.

about the author​

Dennis Byrne is a member of the 23andMe architecture team, protecting the genetic data and privacy of more than 10 million customers. Prior to 23andMe, Dennis was a software engineer for LinkedIn. Dennis is a bodybuilder and a Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) cave diver. He currently lives in Silicon Valley, far away from Alaska, where he grew up and went to school.

about the cover illustration​

The figure on the cover of Full Stack Python Security is captioned “Homme Touralinze,” or Tyumen man of a region in Siberia. The illustration is taken from a collection of dress costumes from various countries by Jacques Grasset de Saint-Sauveur (1757-1810), titled Costumes de Différents Pays, published in France in 1797. Each illustration is finely drawn and colored by hand. The rich variety of Grasset de Saint-Sauveur’s collection reminds us vividly of how culturally apart the world’s towns and regions were just 200 years ago. Isolated from each other, people spoke different dialects and languages. In the streets or in the countryside, it was easy to identify where they lived and what their trade or station in life was just by their dress.
The way we dress has changed since then and the diversity by region, so rich at the time, has faded away. It is now hard to tell apart the inhabitants of different continents, let alone different towns, regions, or countries. Perhaps we have traded cultural diversity for a more varied personal life—certainly for a more varied and fast-paced technological life.
At a time when it is hard to tell one computer book from another, Manning celebrates the inventiveness and initiative of the computer business with book covers based on the rich diversity of regional life of two centuries ago, brought back to life by Grasset de Saint-Sauveur’s pictures.